Power Outage

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityIs there anybody out there who can help the Angels knock a ball over the fence, or at the very least put one into the gap? Last year the rumor was the Angels might trade for Alex Rodriguez. This year, Rodriguez could be a free agent if he opts out of his Yankees contract. So even though Angels owner Arte Moreno has ruled out acquiring Rodriguez on more than one occasion, the rumors will persist. Now that the Angels offseason has started, let the winter of A-Rod begin. A day after they were swept out of the postseason by the Boston Red Sox, Angels players cleaned out their lockers and freely admitted that having some muscle on offense would have been nice. Whether it’s A-Rod or not, a proven bat is the desire. Even Manager Mike Scioscia, never one to stir up controversy, said he desires a 2008 club that could do a little more with one swing of the bat. BASEBALL: After an early postseason exit, the Angels know they could use another big bat. By Doug Padilla STAFF WRITER After proving for six months that a power bat wasn’t needed, all it took was three games in the playoffs to get the Angels right back to where they were one year ago. “Sure there’s a need, not that we can’t get it done in other ways,” Scioscia said Monday morning, wearing a sweat suit while lounging around in is office. “I think at some point our slugging percentage is something you need to address.” So there you have it. Moreno and General Manager Bill Stoneman have just received Scioscia’s Christmas list. There is no doubt Vladimir Guerrero has a similar list since he is the one that needs the lineup protection the most. “It’s not a secret we need a right-handed power hitter to protect our big guy Vladdy,” Kelvim Escobar said. “You saw (Maicer Izturis) for most of the time at the end of the year as our fifth hitter, and Izzy’s not a fifth hitter. He did a good job, don’t get me wrong, but when you see Izzy and he’s a little guy and you compare Izzy with the other (No. 5 hitters) and it’s not (the same).” The Angels prefer the free-agent route, but Scioscia said that avenue hardly looks promising. Rodriguez and agent Scott Boras are said to be looking for up to eight years and $200 million if they hit the market. So what else is out there? A power hitter at third base is the best fit. Of the free agents at third base this winter, the Red Sox’s Mike Lowell is the only proven run producer and the majority of his run production was in cozy Fenway Park. “I think if we are going to try to improve offensively, it’s most likely going to have to either come from within or from trades because on the free-agent market, I’m not sure there’s the impact guy you’re looking for,” Scioscia said. The proven third baseman that Angels could target in a trade are the Mariners’ Adrian Beltre and the Orioles’ Miguel Tejada, who is actually a shortstop who would be asked to change positions. Another option is to give the current group one more try. Aside from the oft-injured Bartolo Colon, all the starters are returning. Closer Francisco Rodriguez is arbitration eligible, but can’t become a free agent until 2008. On offense, every starter is either signed through 2008 or is under contract control of the team. The contracts of Guerrero, Garret Anderson and Orlando Cabrera all expire after next season. With better health, perhaps the Angels can be better at manufacturing runs thanks to the experience they gained this year. But counting on health is a big risk with guys like Anderson and Guerrero in the outfield. “A-Rod doesn’t grow on trees; Manny (Ramirez) and (David) Ortiz don’t grow on trees,” said Gary Matthews Jr., who missed most of the last month and the three playoff games because of injuries. “You have to go out and get it done with what you have. The bottom line, we didn’t get it done. “We won our division with what we had and I’m sure everyone would love to be healthy going into the playoffs. But how many teams are? Every team is aching this time of the year.” Now the Angels are aching to make an offensive upgrade and are sure to mash those A-Rod numbers through a calculator one more time. The Angels made in the neighborhood of a $6 million profit this season and that was with the ballpark full most nights. Giving out between $22 million and $30 million a year to Rodriguez would leave them in the red. Perhaps ticket prices, parking, food and even – gulp – beer prices all end up rising in upcoming seasons. The Angels will have to decide if a huge jump in payroll is worth alienating some of their fan base all in the name of getting further in the playoffs next season. “That’s not a guarantee to get you the World Series, but it definitely will give you more depth in the lineup, more power, more offense,” Escobar said. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read more

Mike Woodson Knicks Plan To Match Jeremy Lin Offer

A source close to Lin who spoke with ESPNNewYork.com was somewhat surprised the Knicks didn’t offer a contract right away, but knew Lin wouldn’t be leaving New York. The source believed the Knicks would match any offer because of his value to the organization on and off the court in business growth. In 35 games during the regular season, Lin averaged 14.6 points and 6.2 assists per game. When Lin was leading the team to a 6-1 stretch in mid-March right after Woodson took over for Mike D’Antoni, five players (including Lin) were scoring in double figures, and the Knicks were averaging 100.9 points per game and holding opponents to only 86.9. Mike Woodson New York Knicks’ coach, knows he needs players to win. So it was no surprise that he said emphatically that the team would “absolutely” match the Houston Rockets four-year, $28.8 million offer sheet for point guard Jeremy Lin. Woodson said he may use Lin and Kidd together at times in the backcourt, so Prigioni could get some solid minutes with the second unit. A report surfaced Wednesday from the New York Daily News that Lin was upset the Knicks didn’t offer him a new contract before the Rockets came calling. But Lin went on to tweet, “Lol why do u guys believe everything? No quotes from me = probably not true.” Woodson said he didn’t blink at all when the Rockets made their official pitch last week. “Never once,” he told a small group of reporters in Las Vegas where the Knicks are participating in summer league. “Jeremy Lin has always been a big part of what we’re trying to do as we move forward with our franchise.”This wasn’t the first time Woodson used the word “absolutely” when asked whether Lin would return to New York. He mentioned it at season’s end after their first-round playoff exit to the Miami Heat, saying the “future’s very bright for him.” Woodson said the Knicks probably will sign Jason Kidd to their mid-level exception of $3.09 million on Thursday. Woodson said Kidd will be “a perfect fit” for Lin. In addition to Prigioni’s proven success playing for club teams in Argentina and Europe, where he was a top passer and defender, Bass said the Knicks felt like he was young enough with no major injuries to help the team. Prigioni will serve as a backup to Lin — once the Knicks match the Rockets’ offer sheet for four years, $28.8 million — and Kidd, who’s yet to sign. Kidd’s deal will likely be at the mid-level exception for $3.09 million. “Jason’s a veteran guy that brings leadership,” he said. “He’ll be able to tutor (Lin) as he grows as a point guard for our franchise. And Jason can still play and run a ballclub, so that’s important I think as we move forward and get ready for (training) camp and start the upcoming season.”On Wednesday, the Knicks finalized a one-year contract with Argentinian point guard Pablo Prigioni for the rookie’s minimum, according to a source.Prigioni’s agent, George Bass, said his client had been on Knicks GM Glen Grunwald’s radar for about five years. Grunwald  and the team’s front office met with Prigioni a few weeks ago in New York, where he’ll be playing in the NBA for the first time as a 35-year-old. Bass said Prigioni is a pass-first point guard like Kidd and will do a great job mentoring Lin. read more

Read more

NFL star fulfills new housing promise to parents home Haiti

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppHaiti, June 21, 2017 –  Haitian descent NFL defensive end, Cliff Avril said that for every sack he made during the season, he would build a house in Haiti.  Avril completed 11.5 sacks.   Not only did the Seattle Seahawk fulfill his promise, but he went further and constructed two new buildings for a school and provided a way for an orphanage to get clean water.Twelve homes were built by Avril, whose parents left Haiti in the 1980s for life in the US.  The family naturally is still strongly tied to home and following the destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew last October, Avril made the pledge and in a special report on ESPN the story is told.Avril in an online media report said, the new houses are right next to the old ones where there was not even cement floors, so when it rained, the family was literally walking, living, sleeping on wet and muddy floors.Avril said, “I could have easily been one of those Haitian kids. I was just fortunate enough that my mom was able to make it to the States, and we made something happen. But I could have easily been one of those kids.”The new buildings at the school gave the children eight new classrooms.#MagneticMediaNews#CliffAvril#NFLstarbuildshomesinHaiti Related Items:#CliffAvril, #magneticmedianews, #NFLstarbuildshomesinHaiti Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Read more

Closure of Nassau Grouper Fishing — December 1 2017 to February 28

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, November 23, 2017 – Nassau – The Department of Marine Resources wishes to advise the general public of the fixed dates of closure of fishing of the Nassau Grouper from December 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018.   The Department of Marine Resources wishes to further advise that to take, land, process, sell and to offer for sale the Nassau Grouper is strictly prohibited.The general public is to note that the ban is only for the Nassau Grouper species, and one is able to capture and purchase any of the remaining species of groupers in The Bahamas.   All groupers are to be landed head and tail intact to assist in the identification of the species of grouper.The identification of the Nassau Grouper species is exhibited in this characteristic: the Nassau Grouper is the only grouper species with a black band or saddle near its tail.The Department of Marine Resources requests the cooperation of the general public in adhering to the fisheries laws of The Bahamas.  Persons found violating the fisheries laws will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:last_img read more

Read more

Residents question TCI Government why no reconstruction yet South Caicos still a

first_img Related Items:#irisstubbsprimaryschool, #regattavillagesouthcaicos, #southcaicosafterirma Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppSouth Caicos, Turks and Caicos – December 13, 2018 – It has been 97 days since the Turks and Caicos Islands felt the ferocity of catastrophic Hurricane Irma, yet parts of the country are still as if the record breaking and history making storm just touched down yesterday.Magnetic Media has been receiving reports from the Capital, Grand Turk and we have visited South Caicos this week and what we have been told and what we have seen  for ourselves is shocking, disappointing and unacceptable; especially for the residents of these hardest hit communities.The Regatta Village in South Caicos, which just this past May marked 50 years of the annual South Caicos Regatta, is decimated.  Hurricane Irma did in South Caicos the unimaginable, having zero respect for the decades of history she pulverized with her winds and waves.  The roofs at the site were flattened or have caved in or were blown off and are still rotting mounds of rubble stacking over three feet with nails jutting out.  The debris, which covers the entire site – all these months after the storms – are a significant reminder that reconstruction help has still not arrived.The three-year-old wooden jetty constructed in time for the 2014 homecoming and South Caicos Regatta is warped and wounded; gaping holes are now characteristics of the structure which was a symbol of a re-surging economy for the island, we call the country’s fishing capital. Now, that wooden dock appears rickety and storm weary after the lashing of what had to be monstrous surge waves and waters in Hurricane Irma on September 7.It was reported that all but one building went without damage in Hurricane Irma in South Caicos; the island was so devastated that it was declared to be in a State of Emergency by the Governor.  This declaration got the island and islanders some much needed humanitarian assistance.The Iris Stubbs Primary School has walls and floors, but for the most part no roofs and ceilings.  Irma tore those off, pushed over signs and damaged classrooms which are now rendered inoperable.  As it was at the school, so it is at the homes of the students, teachers and faculty – utter, heartbreaking loss. On the school grounds, there is the sound of children playing football, singing Christmas carols, asking curious questions and chatting with their ‘BFFs’; wonderful, refreshing sounds.  However, many would gladly welcome, as an alternative, the racket of noise reconstruction would make.There are many areas which vex South Caicos natives, despite their gratitude of having survived the killer hurricane.  However, we found the report on the Government owned water tank, disturbing.  The zinc cover is rusty, ripped apart and leaves the stored water exposed to anything and everything.  One resident said there were ‘dead things’ inside the water.  They believe it is unhealthy and polluted.Magnetic Media reached out the Minister of Infrastructure, Housing and Planning for explanation on what is happening in South Caicos and construction to rebuild, generally.  Minister Goldray Ewing, who leads the Public Works Department shared that on Friday, December 15 he expects that the Budget Supplementary to pay for the massive repairs nationwide will be passed in the House of Assembly.  Hon Ewing said, “…after a supplementary is carried to the House to earmark those monies to prioritise the projects, we plan on embarking upon such repairs and clean up.”Government has had to re-organise the 2017-2018 Budget projections to ‘free-up’ money he reminded, this means debate in Grand Turk on Friday (Dec 15, 2017) will not only be pivotal, but interesting as we will get a more complete understanding of what this initial work will cost the country on the road to recovery. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Read more

DMV offers Saturday services at several San Diego locations starting this weekend

first_img Posted: June 15, 2018 June 15, 2018 , FacebookTwitter Updated: 3:31 PMcenter_img DMV offers Saturday services at several San Diego locations starting this weekend Long lines at DMV frustrating residents Categories: Local San Diego News Oh, the joys of standing in line at the DMV.  We told you a few weeks ago about the wait times and the lines at the DMV, even if you have an appointment.  The wait times are still averaging 4-5 hours according to the DMV.  If you are like many others and can’t take off work to stand in what seems to be an endless line, then this weekend’s your chance.  Several offices around San Diego will be opening up for limited Saturday hours.In San Diego County, the San Marcos, Poway and Chula Vista locations will be open on Saturday, June 16 and June 23.In July, the offices will transition to the first and third Saturday of every month. The offices will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Behind-the-wheel exams will not be available on Saturdays.Appointments are recommended but not required for Saturday service.To schedule a Saturday appointment just go to the DMV website, or call 1-800-777-0133 last_img read more

Read more