Dubrovnik is constantly recording excellent tourist traffic, and can boast of an increase in tourist traffic in the first six months, and in June, when 133.467 tourists stayed in Dubrovnik, which is 2% more than in June 2015. There were 467.828 overnight stays or 1% more than in June 2015, and the most numerous guests were from the United Kingdom, the USA, Germany, France, Finland, Sweden, Australia, Spain, Croatia and Ireland.6% growth in the first six monthsAccording to available data from the eVisitor system, which does not include nautical services, Dubrovnik achieved record tourist results in all types of accommodation in the first six months of 2016. From 1 January to 30 June 2016, there were 364.887 arrivals in Dubrovnik, which is a total of 6% more arrivals than in the same period last year. During the first six months of 2016, 1.156.943 overnight stays were realized, which is an increase of 5% compared to 2015.The top list of countries from which Dubrovnik tourists came in the first six months of 2016 consists of: the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, France, Croatia, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Korea, and Ireland.
Oslo-listed transportation company Stolt-Nielsen Limited has elected a new director, Rolf Habben Jansen, Chief Executive Officer of Hapag-Lloyd AG.“With his extensive industry and business experience, Habben Jansen is a valued addition to the Board of Directors of Stolt-Nielsen Limited,” said Chairman Christer Olsson.The Board of Directors of SNL received approval at the company’s annual general meeting in April of 2015 to fill two vacancies. With the addition of Jansen as a director, the SNL Board now has six members, four of which are independent.Rolf Habben Jansen has served as Chief Executive Officer of Hapag-Lloyd AG since July 2014, after having been appointed a member of the Hapag-Lloyd AG Executive Board in April 2014. He was previously Chief Executive Officer of Damco, the global logistics firm, since 2009.Stolt-Nielsen Limited is a global provider of integrated transportation solutions for bulk liquid chemicals through its three largest business divisions, Stolt Tankers, Stolthaven Terminals and Stolt Tank Containers.
EGYPT: Progress Rail and Egyptian National Railways have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to explore opportunities for the possible supply of new locomotives, as well as terms to modernise, overhaul and maintain a portion of ENR’s existing locomotive fleet under a long-term service agreement.Announcing the MOU on September 18, Progress Rail said its EMD business had powered or supplied the majority of ENR’s current locomotive fleet, with more than 1 100 locomotives delivered over more than 60 years.‘We value the strong, collaborative relationship we have with ENR, and look forward to putting a plan in place to modernise their locomotive fleet with highly advanced locomotive electronics, quality components and state-of-the-art technologies’, said Progress Rail President & CEO Billy Ainsworth. ‘These innovations will work in tandem to take their existing fleet to the next level through optimised performance.’
BusinessNewsRegional ECTEL investigating complaints against Digicel by: Caribbean Media Corporation – August 19, 2015 Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 288 Views one comment Share Share Digicel headquarters in Kingston, Jamaica (file photo)ST GEORGE’S, Grenada (CMC) – The Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) says it is aware of allegations in the media that telecommunication provider Digicel is blocking on its network calls made using voice over Internet protocols (VOIPs) such as WhatsApp.“We have written to the National Telecommunications Regulatory Commissions (NTRCs) asking them to provide reports. We have not received any formal reports,” Embert Charles, managing director of ECTEL told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) on Wednesday.Charles, however, said that ECTEL — the regulatory body for telecommunications in Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines — has received copies of letters circulated in the media in St Lucia.“We are examining the veracity of that as evidence to go further,” he told CMC.In St Lucia, Jadia Jn Pierre-Emmanuel, the press secretary to Prime Minister Dr Kenny Anthony, brought the issue to the fore after an attempted WhatsApp call to a relative was reportedly blocked by Digicel on the weekend.Jn Pierre-Emmanuel received a message from Digicel saying that the company “Couldn’t place call because your phone’s cellular network prevents WhatsApp calls. Try connecting to Wi-Fi and call again,” St Lucia Voice newspaper has reported.The communications specialist noted that she has an EC$500 (one EC dollar =US$0.37 cents) monthly plan with Digicel and is making the case that the company should allow her to use her data as she sees fit.Some telecommunications providers in the region have argued that VOIPS such as WhatsApp, which they describe as over the top (OTT) service providers, use data without paying.Charles told CMC that ECTEL wrote to Digicel about the situation a year ago, telling the company that based on ECTEL’s policy of net neutrality, “it is improper to block these services where people use data for innovative purposes”.Net neutrality refers to the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites.Asked if it illegal for telecommunications providers within ECTEl to block VOIPS, Charles told CMC, “It is legal for any provider to safeguard their networks. If, in their view, the contract they have with the subscribers is being breached — and consumers should be aware of their contracts — then they have that right.“But, if you are providing a data service, then in this day and age of convergence, there is no reason why a service that is using data should be blocked.”He, however, said that it is not a generic situation and there are cases where OTT services consumer more of a network’s recourses than others, hence the reason why Digicel has been “in that kind of situation”.The situation persists even as telecommunications ministers from across the region said at the annual meeting of regional telecommunication association, CANTO, in 2014 and 2015 that they believe subscribers across the Caribbean should be allowed to use data as they wish.Charles said this is still the position of telecommunication minsters within ECTEL.“This was reiterated at the CANTO meeting in Miami this year, and the ministers were very adamant that the providers should not block over the top services.“In fact, they were very specific this year and they have asked the providers, through CANTO, to come up with a plan to resolve the situation very soon, and certainly before the next CANTO meeting comes up,” Charles said.“In fact, some of them have indicated that that might determine their continued participation in CANTO. They feel very, very strong about this matter,” he told CMC.Charles outlined the steps consumers can take to lodge a complaint if they feel their service providers are blocking VOIP calls“Unlike what has been happening, your first step is to engage your provider and indicate that the service is being blocked. If the provider indicates to you that it is not, then you have to prove that it is not being blocked. You continue to document these cases. “Your next stage, and even simultaneously, you can go to your local NTRCs, in the case of ECTEL, and once we have that evidence, we can call in the provider to ask them to explain,” he told CMC.Charles said that ECTEL has met with Digicel and their regulatory officials, who have said that the company is not blocking OTTs.“Officially, they have said that to ECTEL.”Regarding the advocacy in St. Lucia, Charles reiterated that there are particular steps to lodging complaints about a telecommunications service provider.“Whatever groundswell you have, you should confront the service provider in a very organized way. If that fails, you consult the NTRC in an organised way, NTRC will bring ECTEL into the play, and I think we have a better case going forward, in terms of dealing with the situation,” he told CMC.He said ECTEL has to look at the legal parameters of the situation.“We are guided by law. We look and see what laws give us certain powers to intervene,” Charles said.
The EPA has finalized the 2013 percentage standards for fuel categories that are part of the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) program. The final overall volumes and standards require 16.55 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be blended into the U.S. fuel supply — a 9.74 percent blend. The requirement for cellulosic biofuel is 6 million gallons, which is nearly half the amount the EPA initially proposed, according to Midwest Energy News. The reduction is due in part to an expected decrease in U.S. gasoline consumption, according to the Wall Street Journal , because Americans are continuing to drive more fuel-efficient cars.advertisementadvertisementThe final standard specifically requires:Biomass-based diesel (1.28 billion gallons; 1.13 percent)Advanced biofuels (2.75 billion gallons; 1.62 percent)Cellulosic biofuels (6.00 million gallons; 0.004 percent)The Wall Street Journal article said about 13.8 billion gallons of the total 16.55 billion gallons required is expected to be met with ethanol from Midwestern corn.According to an EPA press release , these standards reflect EPA’s updated production projections, in keeping with a January 2013 ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals that required the agency to reevaluate projections for cellulosic biofuel to reflect market conditions.The EPA statement also said:During this rulemaking, EPA received comments from a number of stakeholders concerning the “E10 blend wall.”advertisementProjected to occur in 2014, the “E10 blend wall” refers to the difficulty in incorporating ethanol into the fuel supply at volumes exceeding those achieved by the sale of nearly all gasoline as E10. Most gasoline sold in the U.S. today is E10.The EPA proposed to use flexibilities in the RFS statute to reduce both the advanced biofuel and total renewable volumes in the forthcoming 2014 RFS volume requirement proposal.The EPA is also providing greater lead time and flexibility in complying with the 2013 volume requirements by extending the deadline to comply with the 2013 standards by four months, to June 30, 2014.The Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) established the RFS program and the annual renewable fuel volume targets, which steadily increase to an overall level of 36 billion gallons in 2022.To achieve these volumes, EPA calculates a percentage-based standard for the following year. Based on the standard, each refiner and importer determines the minimum volume of renewable fuel that it must ensure is used in its transportation fuel. PD—Summarized by PD staff from cited sourcesadvertisement
The lead swelled further for the Panda Rockets in the second half with Villarosa spearheading the attack. Jacinto and Pendon also made contributions to take the fight away from the Red Phoenix. For the three-time champions RedPhoenix, Dave Bagatnan tallied 19 points while Reneil Gamboa, Cedrick Manzanoand Julian Maverick Puerto contributed 18 markers apiece./PN Hua Siong College of Iloilo Red Phoenix’s Julian Maverick Puerto tries to evade the defense of St. Robert’s International Academy Panda Rockets’ Gwyn Miles Pendon. PHOTO COURTESY OF BRYAN LEE Showing that they were determined to force a Game 3 in the titular showdown, the Panda Rockets dictated the tempo early in the game with triple after triple to quickly establish a double-digit advantage. ILOILO City – St. Robert’s International Academy Panda Rockets forced a do-or-die in the 2019 ISSA Meet secondary boys basketball finals. It defeated Hua Siong College of Iloilo Red Phoenix in Game 2 of the finals, 103-89, at the WIT Gym here. Louie Jay Villarosa waxed hot from outside to finish with 36 points on Friday while Gwyn Miles Pendon and Roy Oscar Jacinto added 21 and 17 markers, respectively.
Share West Florida travels to take on DSU April 25-26 (Photo by Bill Stockland) GAME NOTES: Argos look to wrap up 2014 regular season on the road PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida softball program is on the road this weekend for the last series of the regular season. The Argonauts will take on Delta State University starting April 25 for a single game slated to begin at 5 p.m. CT. UWF will then take on the Lady Statesmen in a doubleheader April 26 at 12 p.m. CT.West Florida heads into the weekend ranked fourth out of eligible teams in the Gulf South Conference with a 15-11 conference record while the Lady Statesmen are sixth with an 11-15 record.Live CoverageLive Stats for all games Live Audio for all games Game Notesvs. Delta State; 4/25-26GSC Player of the WeekWest Florida senior Danielle Sanders was named the Gulf South Conference Player of the Week for the second time in her career after leading the Argonaut offense in a three-game sweep over West Alabama last weekend.The outfielder went 6-for-7 (.857) at the plate with a home run, two RBIs and eight runs scored. She also walked three times to put up a .900 on-base percentage for the series.The Leesburg, Fla. native was 3-for-3 in steal attempts and posted a 1.000 fielding percentage while playing every inning. She scored the winning run on a squeeze bunt in Friday’s series opener, setting the tone for the rest of the series.Sanders is hitting .291 this season with a .392 on-base percentage and a .447 slugging percentage. She has two doubles, four triples and two home runs this season.Sanders was named the GSC Player of the Week during her junior season on April 16, 2013. The was also a member of the Gulf South Conference All-Tournament Team in 2013.Regional RankingsThe University of West Florida softball team jumped one spot to No. 7 in the latest NCAA Softball Poll released earlier today. The Argonauts used an 18-14 record against regional opponents to jump over Saint Leo University who has a 23-19 record against opponents in the region.West Florida used a three-game sweep against regional and conference opponent, University of West Alabama, to earn the No. 7 ranking.Eight teams from the south region earn a spot into the NCAA Tournament with three teams earning automatic bids for winning the Gulf South Conference, Sunshine State Conference, and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.Alabama-Huntsville tops the list with a 33-7 record against opponents in the region, followed by Tampa at 21-5 and Valdosta State at 33-11. North Alabama (28-10), Rollins (28-11), Palm Beach Atlantic (26-12), and Saint Leo (23-19) round out the remaining teams in the top eight.Print Friendly Version
UWF will also send three members of its diving team to the NCAA Diving Qualifier on Tuesday, with Jesstina Farrell, Carson Bronnenberg, and Mariah Constantakos each vying for a spot in the championships. Wednesday, March 13 — RecapPrelims (10 am)Finals (6 pm) | Results #ARGOS#Print Friendly Version Brooke Ferrara, Hannah O’Toole, Manon Milczynski, and Caitlin Tierney will all join the team as members of relay events, as UWF qualified as a team in four of the five relay events. For the latest information on West Florida’s Swimming & Diving Team, follow Argo athletics on Twitter @GoArgos. LIVE RESULTS Tuesday, March 12NCAA Diving Qualifier | Results | List of qualified divers LIVE VIDEO:WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13 | THURSDAY, MARCH 14FRIDAY, MARCH 15 | SATURDAY, MARCH 16INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The University of West Florida women’s swimming and diving team will send nine student-athletes to the NCAA Championships this week in Indianapolis, Indiana. The group will feature six swimmers and three divers. Freshman Ester Rizzetto will compete in the 50 Freestyle, 100 Freestyle, and the 100 Butterfly individual events, while senior Pia Hulley will participate in the 100 Backstroke and the 200 Backstroke individual events. Thursday, March 14 — RecapPrelims (10 am)Finals (6 pm) | Results This will be the homepage for UWF swimming and diving at this year’s NCAA Championships! The event will take place from Tuesday, March 12 through Saturday, March 16 at the Natatorium Aquatic Center.The meet will begin with the NCAA Diving Qualifier on Tuesday, and swimming action will start Wednesday morning at 10am. Saturday, March 16 — RecapPrelims (10 am)Finals (5:30 pm) | Results Friday, March 15 — RecapPrelims (10 am)Finals (6 pm) | Results Links for live results and live video of the events are below, all of which can also be found on GoArgos.com.
GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 KEYWORDS GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA – Japan’s Ryosuke Irie outpaced American Matt Grevers to win the 100-meter backstroke on the first day of competition at the Pan Pacific Championships on Thursday.There was also a gold medal for Daiya Seto in the men’s 200 butterfly, but Ryosuke Hagino had to make do with the silver in the men’s 200 freestyle. RELATED PHOTOS Ryosuke Irie, Daiya Seto, Natsumi Hoshi, Pan Pacific Championships Irie, the London Olympic bronze medalist, posted a time of 53.02 seconds at the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre to beat out Grevers, who took silver in 53.09. Ryan Murphy of the United States took the bronze medal with a time of 53.19.“I am really happy that I was able to win but can’t be satisfied with this time and have to aim higher,” said Irie, who also won silver in the 200 at the London Olympics.“I won’t be able to compete on a world level with a time like this and want to be a swimmer that can post a good time whatever environment I am in.”Japan’s former world gold medalist Junya Koga was sixth in 54.02.In the 200 fly, Seto saw off the challenge of Brazil’s Leonardo De Deus, touching the wall in 1 minute, 54.92 seconds. De Deus timed 1:55.28 and American Tyler Clary was third in 1:55.42. Masato Sakai followed in fourth in 1:56.64.Hagino came up short in his bid for gold in the first men’s final of the night, timing 1:46.08 to finish runner-up to Thomas Fraser-Holmes of Australia (1:45.98). Cameron McEvoy of Australia placed third in 1:46.36.Elsewhere for Japan, Natsumi Hoshi (2:06.68) took the silver medal in the women’s 200 butterfly. American Cammile Adams claimed the gold in 2:06.61. Top speed: Ryosuke Irie competes in the men’s 100-meter backstroke at the Pan Pacific Championships on Thursday in Gold Coast, Australia. Irie captured the gold medal with a time of 53.02 seconds. | KYODO Thursday’s best: Daiya Seto swims en route to a gold medal in the men’s 200-meter butterfly race at the Pan Pacific Championships. KYODO | KYODO
Xavier Gilbert, coach of two-time ISSA/WATA DaCosta Cup champions Dinthill Technical High School, said he is hoping to live up the high expectations of breaking their 37-year-old trophy drought. Dinthill, who fell short to eventual winners Clarendon College at the semi-final stage last season, will play away to McGrath High School in their opening match today at 3:30 p.m. “I think we are well prepared and looking forward to the start (today). We want to get off on the right foot and top the group again, so we have to try to maximise the points that are on offer,” Gilbert said. “We lost most of our starting players, so we have a fairly inexperienced unit, but a quality unit nonetheless. Expectations are high because it was my first time there last year and we managed to make it to the semi-finals. This year, with a bit more time, the expectations are that all being well, we should go better than last season. It’s been a long drought for Dinthill, so we are going to give it our best shot to ensure the DaCosta Cup returns to Dinthill.” – K.A.